Skip to content

O Holy Night High Notes

General, lighthearted, serious, humorous--this is the place to get to know each other. For lifelong friendships...ENTER HERE!

O Holy Night High Notes

Postby ReagleRob777 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 am

Just found this video on youtube. Does any voice sound familiar? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AutB6_epjzM
ReagleRob777

Re: O Holy Night High Notes

Postby janette » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 am

IMHO...NO one can touch dp in this song...Celine comes close and as much as I love Il Divo...I don't think that song was meant for more than one person to sing...That was interesting...thanks for sharing!
Animals...remember it is their planet too...

ImageImageImage
janette

Postby BrendaK » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Definitely some good singers in that lineup, but I'm with Janette, there was only one I would want to listen to over and over. Biased? Absolutely!
:D
Brenda
Denver Phan
BrendaK

Postby willie99 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Interesting, thanks for the link, Rob.

Agree with Janette and Brenda -- David's version of OHN on the "One Wintry Night" CD cannot be topped.

I do like Celine Dion's version -- love her "Noel"s at the end, and she leaves the climax blessedly free of melisma. I cannot say the same for Christina Aguilera, who goes bananas with the high note, running up and down the scale, never letting it go until she's shoved her talent down everyone's ear canals. Mariah Carey took the high note up an extra octave (or two -- hard to tell!), which borders on just too high for listening enjoyment.

I like how David responded to a question once about how high he can sing -- (if I remember correctly) he responded that musicality was more important than how high you can sing -- he said that he didn't think anyone really wanted to hear how high he could sing, just for the sake of singing high notes.

Agree with Janette that OHN was made for a soloist to sing -- am not a fan of a trio or quartet singing this song. That's kind of how "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go" was for me -- I heard David's solo version and loved it, then later heard the GVB quartet version, which really didn't do much for me, although it was nice.
willie99

Postby Linda B. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:06 pm

willie99 wrote:Agree with Janette that OHN was made for a soloist to sing -- am not a fan of a trio or quartet singing this song. That's kind of how "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go" was for me -- I heard David's solo version and loved it, then later heard the GVB quartet version, which really didn't do much for me, although it was nice.

You have David to thank for the GVB arrangement on that one, too. ;) I heard the GVB do it many times before I ever heard it solo. I like it both ways! :)
Linda :)
Linda B.

Postby willie99 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Linda B. wrote:
willie99 wrote:Agree with Janette that OHN was made for a soloist to sing -- am not a fan of a trio or quartet singing this song. That's kind of how "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go" was for me -- I heard David's solo version and loved it, then later heard the GVB quartet version, which really didn't do much for me, although it was nice.

You have David to thank for the GVB arrangement on that one, too. ;) I heard the GVB do it many times before I ever heard it solo. I like it both ways! :)

True, David does great arrangements. In that particular number, for me, the multi-part harmony seemed to take away some of the intimacy and pain of the lyrics, which David captured perfectly in his solo performance of the song.

I think some songs go the other way, though, and are better with multiple voices rather than as solos. For example, the GVB did "The Star Spangled Banner" in 4-part harmony, which was PERFECT, and which was much stronger than any solo version of that song that I've ever heard.
willie99

Postby Silver Hair Fans » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Interesting.....But in MHO, if you are going to compare...let's compare all the singers equally!!! Either listen to their entire version or at least give each the same amount of time!!! Celine was given 34 seconds while most of the others were give around 12 or less seconds....DP's spot was only 10 seconds. I enjoy a lot of the different singers versions....Bing, Perry, Celine, but Hands Down no one cat top David!!!! :D :D :D
Silver Hair Fans

Postby slynnpat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 pm

I think the penguins ( ;) :D ) did an excellent job, but I, like many of you, agree David is the best! I do also like how Michael Crawford sings Oh Holy Night,but not as much as I love David's.

Willie, I too prefer O Love That Will Not Let Me Go as the solo by David.
"It's grace that gives you freedom and life---" Freedom Song
slynnpat

Postby athirstywoman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 pm

i listened to the selection and truthfully the only time i got goosepimples or
glory bumps was when a certain curley haired tenor did his thang.
NO ONE (that i have heard) can touch that glorious sound coming out of his heart.

But i am partial to that man. :o
athirstywoman

Postby Roberta and Gordon Sim » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:58 pm

NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE CAN SING LIKE DAVID, HE IS ANNOINTED AND HIS MUSIC COMES FROM HIS HEART AND SOUL RIGHT TO THE LISTENERS.

GOD BLESS.
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” - Ephesians 4:2

ROBERTA SIM
Roberta and Gordon Sim

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Phelps Phan Discussions